Sunday, August 18, 2024

Garlic Lemon Tilapia

I don't have a lot of experience cooking or eating fish, but I've realized that if I want my kids to have familiarity with seafood, it's my responsibility to give them opportunity and exposure. I decided to be brave and add in one "Fish Day" to our 3 week summer meal rotation and plan to keep it for fall as well. 

My favorite seafood experience I've ever had was eating a bowl of mussels, clams, and scallops at a little seafood restaurant overlooking the ocean on the coast of Oregon. Oh, tied with favorite is eating shrimp in Hawaii with my mom and Grandma (I also had an amazing piece of MahiMahi in Hawaii). This isn't anywhere close to any of those - but I hope that by adding in one day of fish each month my kids will have experiences with seafood that will lead to a well rounded and healthy life. 




Garlic Lemon Tilapia
Source: Diethood

Ingredients
4 tilapia fillets
Salt and freshly ground black pepper,, to taste
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon dried oregano
4 tablespoons butter,, melted
4 cloves garlic,, minced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
¼ teaspoon lemon zest
1 lemon,, sliced into rounds, for garnish
Red pepper flakes,, for garnish
Chopped fresh parsley,, for garnish
Lemon slices, for garnish

(Serve with our favorite garlic butter rice, recipe below, and steamed veggies)
https://thepeadenkitchen.blogspot.com/2024/08/garlic-butter-rice.html

Directions
Preheat oven to 400°F. Season tilapia with salt, pepper, paprika, thyme, and oregano; arrange fish in a 9x13 baking dish.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together melted butter, garlic, lemon juice, and lemon zest; pour over tilapia.
Bake tilapia for 10 to 12 minutes, or until fish flakes and is fork-tender.
Garnish with pepper flakes, parsley, and lemon slices. Serve.



I also thought this note about "How Long to Bake Tilapia" was helpful for a fish newbie like me: 

If you haven’t baked tilapia before you may be wondering how to do it properly. Here are a few quick tips for the best baked tilapia:Like most fish fillets, tilapia cooks up pretty quickly! You’ll want to check on it as soon as it’s been in the oven for 10 minutes, or even sooner if your oven runs hot.
The fillets are done when they flake easily with a fork (but aren’t dry).
If you’re using a meat thermometer, insert it sideways into the thickest part of the fillet. The temperature should be 145°F.

No comments:

Post a Comment