Monday, June 17, 2013

Tomato-Zucchini Bake

We have been loving zucchini this summer so I thought that I'd give this zucchini bake a try. I wasn't expecting David to love it, but I had a couple of zucchini that needed to be used and I thought that it would be good enough to fill us up. David. Loved. It. I'm pretty sure that he told me it was the best new recipe that we'd had in months. To say that I was surprised is an understatement. However, it was delicious. I loved that it didn't have any major carbs in it (most of my zucchini recipes are basically just added to pasta). Just a yummy summer dish.  


Tomato-Zucchini Bake 
Source: adapted from Allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
2 medium zucchinis, thinly sliced
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 cup shredded chicken

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl combine cheeses, oregano, basil, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.

Arrange half of the zucchini slices in the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle 1/4 of the cheese and herb mixture on top. Arrange half of the tomatoes, and top with another 1/4 of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers.

Remove foil, and bake until the top is crusty and the vegetables are tender, about 35 minutes.


*Note: The original recipe calls for a bread crumb topping. I just put some of the cheese mixture on the top. However, if in the future I decide to add the topping... here are the instructions. 
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
3/4 cup fine bread crumbs
--Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onions, and cook until soft and translucent. Stir in breadcrumbs; cook until they have absorbed the butter. Sprinkle on top of casserole.

No comments:

Post a Comment