Monday, June 24, 2013

Pork Chimichangas

I was visiting a friend the other day right before dinner and something smelled so good! I immediately knew that I needed the recipe for whatever was in the oven. Karli gave me this recipe and I love it. My favorite part is that with the one pork roast, we had enough meat for 3 meals worth of chimichangas and two meals of Shredded Pork Sandwiches (I just added barbecue sauce to the already shredded pork).  It was awesome! Obviously, when we have more kids - one roast won't go as far. But as for now, it's awesome to get 5 meals out of one roast. 



Pork Chimichangas
Source: Adapted from Karli Shields

Ingredients: 
5 lb Pork Rump Roast
1 medium onion
2 cups cooked rice
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp cumin
2 (4 oz) cans chopped green chilis
2 (7 oz) cans salsa (the original recipe calls for green salsa, but I used red)
4 Tbsp flour

Directions:
Place roast with 1/2 cup water in the crock pot. Cook on high 6-8 hours. After it is cooked, place it in large bowl of kitchen aid and use the paddle attachment on medium speed for 50-75 seconds. You want your meat to be shredded, but not mashed. If you leave the mixer running for too long, your pieces will be too small. It's better to have a few big pieces that you shred by hand rather than over-shred the rest. 

Slice onion and brown in a large skillet. Add shredded roast, seasonings/flour, chilis, and salsa to skillet. Add rice and enough juice from the Crockpot to make it moist, but not a runny consistency. Mix and heat through. 

Fill large flour tortillas with mixture and fry in hot oil until golden brown or bake at 425 for 15 minutes.

*Serve with assorted toppings.

My favorite part about this recipe is that it is so easy to freeze. Prior to baking, I wrapped the extra chimichangas in a small piece of paper towel and placed in bags to freeze. (I used two bags of tortillas, so I just used those empty bags, and then I placed them both in a gallon-sized freezer bag.) Four chimichangas per bag + two bags = two weeknight freezer dinner meals for us! Just defrost in microwave for a couple of minutes, then bake at 425 for 15 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment