Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Sweet and Sour Meatballs

Mmmm... I absolutely love these meatballs. My family used to make them when I was growing up - and I always looked forward to them. David doesn't love this meal, but he humors me when I start craving it and whip up a big batch. Mmmm.


Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Source: The Walker Family

Ingredients:
1 - 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
3/4 cups rolled oats
3 eggs slightly beaten
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Directions:
Combine all ingredients; mix well. Form into about 12 balls*, each about 2 inches in diameter. Place in casserole dish. Cover with sauce (below). Add pineapple chunks Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Makes 4-5 servings, 2-3 meatballs each. Serve over rice.
*Meatballs can be made smaller for more.

Sauce: (In all honesty - I usually triple this. I really like things saucy.)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 can pineapple chunks (*optional. I don't usually add these because David doesn't like pineapple - but let me tell you - it is delicious if you do.)

Combine top five ingredients in a sauce pan. Heat until boiling, add pineapple (if desired) and pour over meatballs.

No comments:

Post a Comment