Monday, June 2, 2014

BBQ Ribs

I'd never even considered making ribs for dinner until one day I was talking to my sweet sister, Jenna, about meal planning/meal ideas/grocery budgeting/etc... and she mentioned that they have ribs fairly often and that they were really easy and delicious. I was impressed and a little intimidated, but when I saw some pork back ribs go on sale (2.98/lb) I decided to give it a try. For just under three dollars a pound, that's the same price as having hamburgers for dinner (we use the whole pound of hamburger, and I try to get that on sale for the same 2.98/lb). I bought the ribs and then called Jenna to make sure that I wasn't getting myself into something crazy. I don't know why I was so worried, these were the easiest thing I've made for dinner in the last two weeks and they were SO delicious. I just stuck them in the crockpot all day while we were at church, then came home and tossed a couple of ears of corn in the oven for a half hour and made some instant mashed potatoes. It was the most delicious Sunday dinner! I don't ever remember eating ribs before, so it was a fun experience (albeit a messy one) and I am already trying to figure out how to get them on my meal plan asap.


BBQ Pork Ribs
Source: Adapted from Jenna Haderlie

Ingredients:
1 lb Pork Back Ribs (Jenna said that she uses boneless ribs, but we picked up the ones that were on sale and after being in the crock pot all day the meat just falls off the bone.)
1 Cup Dave's Rich and Sassy BBQ sauce
1 Tbs Onion Flakes
Salt & Pepper

Directions:
Cut ribs into sections (about every 4th rib or so) and season with salt and pepper. Lay in crock pot and sprinkle onion flakes on top. Cover in BBQ Sauce and cook on low for 8-9 hours. About a half-hour before dinner, check the sauce - if it's dried out a little, add a little more sauce. Transfer to a serving plate and serve hot! (With lots of napkins!)


One note: David and I usually buy the Kraft or Bullseye BBQ sauce brand. However, we went to a friends house for dinner and they served brisket with some Famous Dave's Rich and Sassy BBQ sauce and we were in heaven! I honestly didn't know that the sauce would make so much of a difference, but we about died it was so good. Then we had some Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce at a different dinner, and again we were blown away by how delicious it was and how big of a difference it made. The point of this is that when we made the recipe we used the good BBQ Sauce and it was incredible! I would definitely recommend splurging just a tiny bit more and getting the good sauce. It makes a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment